Axsom Air has been in business for decades, bringing the Natchitoches community the best when it comes to electrical services. No matter the time of day, you can count on us for any electrical safety needs. Electrical wiring, appliances and lighting can put your household’s safety at risk if not properly installed and maintained. Read on to learn more about how to keep your home safe from electrical hazards.
Keep Water And Electric Devices Separate
It’s important to remember that water and electricity are a deadly combination. Even if you’re in your kitchen after washing your hands and you pick up any electrical appliance. Moisture increases the chance of an electrical shock, which needs to be avoided at all costs. The team at Axsom wants to stress the importance of making sure all electrical appliances are kept away from water sources.
Protect Children From Electrical Shock
Babies and toddlers are known for their boundless curiosity. Whether it’s with the way you’re doing your hair in the mornings, or even how you eat your favorite bowl of cereal – they become fascinated and will oftentimes copy you.
However, it’s not always something cute they do or catch on to. Most children love to stick their little fingers into anything, this includes electrical outlets. Which is why you should always be paying attention and maintain a child-safe home.
Children don’t know the right from wrong as they are still learning. Which is why they can bring an electrical appliance too close to a wet area. Always make sure devices like this are out of children’s reach and in a safe place.
Correctly Corral Your Cords
Like anything with an electrical current, cords can radiate heat. From this heat is where the real hazard occurs. It’s always better to make sure that your cords are not covered by rugs, furniture or carpeting so as not to cause a fire.
Store cords flat and safely, tucked against the floor and wall to avoid trip hazards. If you’re not sure whether your cords are safe, you can always give your fellow Natchitoches electricians a call, and we’ll be more than happy to help you.
Upgrade Old Wiring
Old wiring is one of the most common causes of house fires. This is why it’s always a great idea to get your wires inspected routinely in case you need any electrical repairs.
You can even check if some wires need changing by a quick visual inspection. If the wire looks chewed, pinched or pierced, you more than likely need to replace the wiring. If you’re in need of home rewiring, reach out to the team at Axsom to schedule your service.
Use Extension Cords Responsibly
Many people rely on extension cords because they’re a convenient, affordable option. As practical as they are, they can be very hazardous if misused. Not only is it dangerous to have multiple devices plugged into one outlet, but the cords themselves can be dangerous as well.
Someone who is not used to having extension cords laying around may trip on them and get injured. You can prevent this by removing the extension cord, lining the cord against a wall or moving the device or appliance closer to the outlet.
Avoid Defective Light Bulbs
Many homeowners take their lighting for granted, unaware that improper wattage is the third most common electrical hazard in homes. Lightbulbs with the wrong wattage can overheat and lead to light socket and wiring damage. If left alone, these bulbs can cause a house fire. Make sure to check your lamps or fixtures for maximum wattage ratings, and don’t exceed those limits.
The team at Axsom Air always has you covered when it comes to your home’s electrical needs. Don’t believe us? Take a look at our satisfied customer reviews and reach out when you’re ready to upgrade, repair or replace your home’s electrical systems. We promise you won’t be disappointed!