Leak Detection At Home
In Natchitoches, LA, homeowners pride themselves on maintaining their homes to the highest standards. Yet, even in the best-kept homes, unexpected issues like water leaks can arise.
Axsom Air, a trusted name in Natchitoches, understands the importance of timely leak detection and has compiled a list of the best leak detection tips for homeowners. Let’s dive in!
Recognizing The Signs Of A Leak
Before we explore the specific tips for leak detection at home, it’s crucial to understand the signs that indicate a potential leak. Recognizing these early can save you from more significant damages and expenses down the line:
- Unusual water bills — A sudden spike in your water bill without an increase in usage is often a clear sign of a leak. Regularly monitoring your bills can help you detect such changes.
- Wet spots and discoloration — If you notice wet spots or discoloration on your floors, walls or ceilings, it’s a potential sign of a hidden leak. These spots can also lead to mold growth, which poses health risks.
- Warm spots on the floor — If your home’s plumbing has a broken pipe along your hot water line, hot water can collect beneath your flooring. A section of flooring that feels warmer than the surrounding area is a sign there’s a hot water leak below.
By knowing the signs of a leak, you can identify when it’s time to call on professional plumbing help. Knowing the signs is only the first step, though. Finding the source of the problem requires a different set of skills.
Effective Leak Detection Tips At Home
Now that we’ve covered the signs, let’s explore some effective leak detection tips to help you pinpoint the source.
The Dye Test
For suspected toilet leaks, drop some food coloring or dye tablets into the tank. If the color appears in the bowl within 30 minutes without flushing, you have a leak.
Check Your Water Meter
Turn off all water fixtures in your home and check the water meter. If it continues to move, it indicates a possible leak.
Inspect Faucets And Showerheads
Regularly inspecting faucets and showerheads can help you spot minor leaks before they become major issues. Look for drips and listen for any hissing sounds.
Preventing Leaks In Your Home
Taking action to avoid plumbing breaks and water damage in the first place is better than dealing with a leak. Here are some proactive measures to prevent leaks:
- Regular maintenance — Scheduling regular maintenance checks for your plumbing system can help identify weak spots or wear and tear that could lead to leaks.
- Install water leak detectors — These devices can detect leaks and changes in moisture levels, alerting you early on. They’re especially useful in areas like basements and under sinks.
- Know your home’s water main — Knowing the location of your home’s water main allows you to shut off the water supply quickly in case of a major leak, preventing further damage.
If you’re interested in getting ahead of potential pipe problems, reach out to our team at Axsom Air. We’re ready to provide your home with professional maintenance to keep your system flowing as it should.
When To Call A Professional
While some leaks can be easily detected and fixed, others require professional plumbing repair. Here are some situations when you should consider reaching out to Axsom.
If you’ve tried the above leak detection tips and still can’t locate the leak, or if the problem persists, it’s time to call in the experts.
Mold And Structural Damage
The presence of mold or structural damage due to water indicates a severe leak that needs immediate professional attention.
Complex Plumbing Systems
Homes with intricate plumbing networks or older infrastructure might have hidden vulnerabilities. In such cases, a professional’s expertise can be invaluable in identifying and solving issues.
Reclaim Peace Of Mind With Leak Detection
Water leaks can be a nuisance, but with the right knowledge and timely action, they can be managed effectively. By following these leak detection tips and knowing when to seek professional leak detection services, you can protect your Natchitoches home from potential damage.
Remember, when in doubt, the experts at Axsom Air are always here to assist you. Stay dry and leak-free!