Your AC unit is designed to keep your home cool and comfortable during the summer months. Refrigerant is a crucial component of your air conditioning system. This substance absorbs heat from your home’s indoor air and transfers it outside. However, if your AC system develops a refrigerant leak, it can cause serious problems.
Axsom Air is here to remove HVAC hazards from your household! Refrigerant leaks can cause reduced cooling capacity, increased energy bills and potential safety hazards. Read ahead to take a closer look at what a refrigerant leak is, what causes it and how to address it.
What Is A Refrigerant Leak?
A refrigerant leak is a loss of refrigerant from your AC system. This issue can occur in various areas of the system, including the refrigerant lines, coils or compressor. A refrigerant leak can cause your AC system to run inefficiently and pose health risks and safety hazards.
What Causes A Refrigerant Leak?
A refrigerant leak is a hassle that no homeowner wants to experience. This issue can be caused by a variety of factors, a few of which are:
- Normal wear and tear: Over time, the seals and connections in your AC system can wear out, causing refrigerant leaks.
- Corrosion: Exposure to moisture and other contaminants can cause the refrigerant lines and coils to corrode, leading to system damage.
- Physical damage: Accidents or impact damage can cause refrigerant lines and coils to break or become punctured.
- Improper installation: If your AC system was not installed correctly, it can lead to refrigerant issues.
- Manufacturing defects: In rare cases, defects in the manufacturing of the AC system can cause leaks.
When refrigerant leaks wreak havoc on your air conditioner, a trustworthy AC repair company can help! Our technicians are prepared to inspect your system and determine the source of the problem.
What Are The Signs Of A Refrigerant Leak?
Your cooling system isn’t able to verbally communicate its problems with you. However, it will show indicators when an issue is present. Some of the signs that you may have a refrigerant leak in your AC system include:
- Reduced cooling capacity: If your AC system is not cooling your home as effectively as it used to, it could be a sign of a refrigerant problem.
- Increased energy bills: Leaks can cause your AC system to run inefficiently, leading to higher energy bills.
- Hissing or bubbling sounds: A refrigerant leak can cause hissing or bubbling sounds to come from your AC system.
- Ice buildup: Seeping fluid can cause ice buildup on the coils of your AC system.
- Unpleasant odors: A refrigerant leak can cause unpleasant odors from your AC system.
Your air conditioner may be in need of repairs if you notice any of these signs. It’s crucial to have these issues corrected as soon as possible before the problem becomes more severe.
AC Water Leak vs. Refrigerant Leak
When it comes to air conditioning systems, it’s not uncommon to experience water leaks or refrigerant leaks. However, it’s important to understand the difference between the two.
A water leak occurs when moisture builds up inside the AC system and drips out of the unit, often caused by a clogged condensate drain or damaged condensate pump. On the other hand, a refrigerant leak occurs when the refrigerant escapes from the AC system due to a hole or crack in the refrigerant lines or components.
While water leaks can cause water damage and mold growth, refrigerant leaks can lead to reduced cooling capacity, higher energy bills, and potential damage to the compressor and other AC components. If you suspect any leak in your AC system, it’s important to have it inspected and repaired by a professional HVAC technician.
What Should You Do If You Suspect A Refrigerant Leak?
A technician can diagnose the source of the leak and repair or replace any damaged components. Continuing to use your AC system with a refrigerant leak can cause the machinery to experience a need for additional costly repairs.
Regular maintenance of your AC system can help prevent refrigerant leaks from occurring. During this service, a technician will inspect your system and diagnose it if any issues are present. Professionals recommend scheduling an annual AC tune-up at least once per year!
Trust Axsom Air For AC Repair In Natchitoches
Axsom Air offers fast and reliable services to ensure your AC system is always running at its best. We take pride in our work and strive to provide exceptional customer service to all our clients. Don’t let a malfunctioning air conditioning system disrupt your comfort this summer. Contact us to schedule an air conditioning repair service!